Joinville, as the center of economic gravity in the State of Santa Catarina, had its foundation linked to the Brazilian royal family. In the second half of the 19th century the sister of King Dom Pedro II, named Princess Dona Francisca Carolina, married Prince François Ferdinand Philipe de Joinville, son of King of France Louis Philipe, to whom was granted as dotal gift the land where Joinville has been established in Northern Santa Catarina. Political conflicts in Europe vested part of that land in "The Settling Company of Hamburg" (Germany) chartered in 1849. The Colon Boat landed Joinville in 1851 bringing along the first European immigrants to settle the colony: 118 Germans and Swiss, besides a group of 74 Norwegians.
The Region of Joinville primarily thought to be an agricultural developing province has turned itself to be in present-day the third industrial cluster of Southern Brazil. Locals affirm that the town destination has abounded its original foreseen course of action due to settler's entrepreneurship. They invested time and resources to develop business oriented initiatives not limited to the following industrial sectors: metallurgist, mechanic, textile, plastic, chemist and pharmacist.

The well known City of Flowers is the most important economic center of Santa Catarina holding a population of around 600.000 inhabitants and joins wisely its centennial industrial expertise with its updated profile which has been under consolidation throughout the years: excellence applied to services, inter alia, R&D, information and technology, infrastructure dedicated to industrial & commercial zones, foreign investment in manufacturing, service and cultural leverage as well as local companies holding equity ownership in organizations seating overseas, which makes Joinville a Latin American reference for tourism matched with business events.

Located between the sea and the mountains Joinville holds the first ballet school of Bolshoi Theater out of Moscow. As the school was established to move forsaken post-Second World War children to find a new start-up, the local Municipality decided to grant scholarship to 126 girls and boys studying in public schools but pursuing to be ballet dancers formed by internacional dancing techniques learnt in our town.